Thursday, November 11, 2010

Confessions of a Stay-at-homer

Dear Santa, I'd prefer an enamaled cast-iron Dutch oven in red.
Confession #1: I hate ironing. I never perfected the art of ironing nor do I want to. 

What is remotely enjoyable about ironing? I'm not the graceful sort and I hate fighting a clumsy ironing board and arranging miles of cord. Another thing, where is a good place to iron? Just like a litter box (We have a cat free house), there is not a good place for an ironing board. Luckily, there's always more than one way to do tedious chores.

My hubby learned quickly never to bring me a shirt and say,"Can you press this?" After it took 20 minutes for me to very poorly press his first shirt, he resorted to tossing his wrinkled clothing in the dryer. This method of "ironing" became unreliable and tiresome, especially when he was running late. Finally, he went on one of his lone shopping outings. When he returned, he burst in the door like a proud hunter with his first kill.  I knew I was in for a surprise. His kill turned out to be a steamer and one of his best purchases. It was only $20 and we've had it for over 3 years. Now I have to find a use for that nearly new iron I have in the laundry room.